University:Rajasthan Technical University
Course: B.Tech Computer science & engineering
Subject: Computer Architecture
Exam Year: January 2011
Year or Semester: Third year/ Fifth Semester
Paper Code: 5E3251
1. a) Define control function in register transfer language.What do you understand by bus transfer? Explain with examples. [Marks 8]
b) Represent the folowing conditional control statement by two register transfer statements with control function.
if (P=1) then (R1<- R2)
else if (Q=1) then (R2<- R3)
Draw bus system for above with three stage device. [Marks 8]
a) Define register transfer language. What do you understand by arithmetic micro operations? Explain with examples? [Marks 8]
b) Design an arithmetic circuit with one selection variable S and two n-bit data inputs A and B. The circuit generates the following four arithmetic operation in conjunction with the input carry Cin. Draw the logic diagram for the first two stages. [Marks 8]
S Cin=0 Cin=1
o D=A+B Addition D=A+1 Increment
1 D=A-1 Decrement D=A+B bar +1 Subtraction
2. What is pipelining? What is the maximum speed up that can be attained? Construct an instruction pipeline. Is it possible to attain maximum speed up in an instruction pipeline? [Marks 16]
Write a program to evaluate the arithmetic statement:
a) Using a general register computer with three address instructions.
b) Using a general register computer with two address instructions.
c) Using an accumulator type computer with one address instructions.
d) Using a stack organized computer with zero address operation instructions. [Marks 4*4=16]
3. a) Design an array multiplier that multiplies a binary number of four bits with a binary number of three bits. [Marks 8]
b) Explain carry look ahead adder. [Marks 8]
a) Explain Booth’s algorithm for multiplication of signal 2’s complement numbers. [Marks 10]
b) Explain Ripple carry adder. [Marks 6]
4. a) What is content addressable memory? Describe its design procedure. What is the role of match register. [Marks 10]
b) Design a 4*3 RAM. Draw the logic circuit of basic cell also. [Marks 6]
a) Explain cache memory and mapping procedures used with cache memory organization. [Marks 10]
b) Explain memory hierarchy in a computer system. [Marks 6]
5. a) How many character per second can be transmitted over a 1200 band line in each of the following modes assuming a character code of eight bits.
1) Synchronous serial transmission.
2) Asynchronous serial transmission with 2 stop bits. [Marks 4*2=8]
b) Explain CPU-IOP communication with a diagram. [Marks 8]
a) Explain the difference between programmed I/O and interrupt initiated I/O giving an example of each. [Marks 8]
b) What is DMA technique? Explain DMA controller and DMA transfer, with suitable diagram. [Marks 8]