University: Rajasthan Technical University
Course: B.Tech Computer science & engineering
Subject: CAD for VLSI Design
Exam Year: May/June 2010
Year or Semester: Fourth year/ Eight Semester
Paper Code: 8E4015
Unit-I1. a) Explain the concept of Computer Aided design (CAD) in modern digital system with the help of a flow diagram. [Marks 8]
b) What do you understand by ASIC design? Explain the ASIC design flow with the help of a flow chart. [Marks 8]
2. a) Describe the following terms in connection with Computer Aided Design (CAD) process.
i) Design Entry
ii) Simulation of a design
iii) Synthesis of a Design
iv) Optimization of a design. [Marks 8]
b) Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) are used for hardware design implementation frequently in VLSI devices. Describe the logic block (LB), switching block (SB) and input/output block (I/O B) of an FPGA. Also explain the advantages of FPGA implementation over conventional methods. [Marks 8]
3. a) When was the language VHDL standardized and by whom? Give the basic requirements of VHDL. [Marks 8]
b) Describe and write the syntax for the following in connection with VHDL.
iii) Signals and variables
iv) 9-value package. [Marks 8]
4. a) Describe the following terms in VHDL.
i) Modes used in VHDL
ii) VHDL system
iii) Data types
iv) Predefined enumeration data types. [Marks 8]
b) Write the VHDL code for a D flip flop. [Marks 8]
5. a) Describe the various types of operators used in VHDL modeling. [Marks 8]
b) Write the VHDL code for a half adder circuit using all the three types of modeling. [Marks 8]
6. a) Give the syntax and the example for the following:
i) Process statement
ii) Case statement
iii) NULL statement
iv) With-select statement [Marks 8]
b) Write the VHDL code for a full adder circuit using structural modeling. [Marks 8]
7. Write short notes on the following:
a) Predefined attributes and user defined attributes.
b) VHDL subprogram parameters types and overloading. [Marks 8*2=16]
8. Explain the following with suitable examples.
a) Component declaration and component specification.
b) Functions and procedures. [Marks 8*2=16]
b) Write the VHDL code for 2*4 decoder. Circuit of decoder is given below. [Marks 8]
10. a) Draw the state machine diagram and write the VHDL code for a “110” string detector. [Marks 8]
b) Write the VHDL code for a 4-bit compartor circuit. [Marks 8]
Return to Question Paper